Saturday 23 July 2011

My Fish Jack


Meet my pet Jack (aka Jumping Jack). He is a fighting fish. I’ve had him for a year now. He simply loves to jump out of his fish bowl. There were several occasions when we found him on the floor -- grasping for breath. I’d say, he’s one lucky fish, because somebody always comes to his rescue -- just in the nick-of-time.



My husband found this plastic covered aquarium. I guess, he’ll be safer in his new home.

Oh yes, Jack is a bachelor and is very much available; he’s actually SSB (Single Since Birth). I tried to find him a girlfish, but they always died ahead of him.  Sigh.

Every now and then a male fighting fish produces little bubbles, which you will find floating on your aquarium. The pet shop person said that it simply means that it’s mating season. 


What you do is to put in the female fighting fish in the male fish’s aquarium and wait for them to mate. Then, it’s important to separate them again. Otherwise, you’ll be watching a big water battle – they’ll fight to death. Oh yes, that’s why they are called fighting fish.

Now, here comes the exciting part. The bubbles will be the home of the baby fighting fish. It’s the male fish, who will nurse them until they are ready to be born and swim on their own. Great love story huh.

Nah, I haven’t really witnessed this in real life. But when that happens, I’ll be giving out cigars and say, “Gee, folks I’m a grandma!”




No comments:

Post a Comment