Thursday 11 August 2011

One Day at the Post Office

I had to make a quick trip to the Post Office to claim a registered mail. Everytime I visit the place, I pass by the e-Post Shop or the Philatelic Division  to buy stamps. I’m a newbie philatelic. My interest in it is quite accidental.

In 2006, the apartment where we used to live caught fire, due to a neighbor’s electric fan that overheated. We were miraculously spared from the fire, but not spared from the smoke and water damage. For short, we had to move out and find another place to live. Among my father in law’s rubles was a collection of stamps, which I saved and decided to keep for myself. He has forgotten all about them anyway.

I used to do volunteer works at the Archdiocese of Manila. My priest boss, the late Fr. Gabriel Casal, requested me to find stamp albums, where he could  keep and organize his stamp collections. I suddenly remembered the stamps that I saved from the fire and decided to get a stamp album for myself.

And that my friends started my interest in collecting stamps. Stamps remind me of my high school teacher -- Ms. Bartolome. She was an avid collector, who’d often asked for stamps before starting our class, “Any stamps girls?” One gets a “Thank you” and “Very good remark” for a stamp.

 Beyond the Pasig river view of the Post Office. I took this photo while standing at the Jones  Bridge.











Viewed from the Jones Bridge is the Escolta Ferry Station. Sigh! I miss my ferry boat rides.  They stopped operation this year.











 
The Jones bridge. I often take leisurely walks along this bridge to enjoy the view. 

View at the left side of the bridge is equally interesting.










Taken from the steps at the entrance of the Post Office. 

The fountain area is a favorite venue for prenuptial pictorials of couples about to tie the knot.








I had to get my mail from the same window where that man is standing.












These writing tables must be older than you and me.













The Post Office Lobby – Oh there are people after all!













The e-Post shop, where mailing boxes of various sizes, stamps, greeting cards, and some grocery items are sold.











An unusual find. Nope, these are not unclaimed postal notices. 

They are pledges of students about saving the environment.











A view of Post Office frontage. 

If Samson were alive, he’d be in a frenzy choosing which pillar to topple. 

Or has the internet eaten away through these pillars?


Hidden behind the pillars is a taho vendor. The view is especially enjoyable with a glass of taho, which costs Php 20.





At the left is a blurred photo of fire trucks -- fire fighters to the rescue. We chanced upon a fire at the Post Office area one evening. Alas, the Phil Post Regional Office Bldg was on fire. To the right is a view of what is left of the building days after the disaster.


Back door view of the Post Office. 

The Philatelic Museum and Library is just across.

I'll give you a tour for the museum in my next post.
 

1 comment:

  1. I am here to tell you about a natural remedy that is
    guaranteed to make you wonder why your doctor didn't tell
    you about it. Then, on the other hand, it is pretty obvious
    why your doctor didn't, because that's not his job, is
    it? But, seriously, promise me you won't get too angry
    with your health practitioner, it's really not their
    fault. They can only practice what they're told to
    practice, right?
    When your health is at risk there's no time for Tom
    foolery, you've got to get down to the cause and nip it
    in the bud. So you've been suffering from painful gout
    attacks have you? Well, allow me to give you a new
    perspective on the solution to what plagues you I was once in your shoe until my college friend introduce me to Dr Itua herbal center which cure my hiv/herpes after drinking it for two weeks as instructed, Dr Itua is an africa herbal doctor who has natural power to cure the following diseases: Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,
    Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic.
    As Dr Itua assure me that all those disease below that he guaranty 100% permanent cure to all these disease I believe Dr Itua so much because he help me cure my hiv/ herpes which has being my burden in life so I promised Dr Itua that I will testify about his work online after curing me and that is what I'm doing here so please if you are suffering from those diseases do not hesitate to write Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or chat with him on whatsapp:+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete